Sunday, March 30, 2014

Drop a Pebble in the Water

We tried out a poem during close reading late last week.  I found the poem, "Drop a Pebble in the Water" by James W. Foley, that I thought was perfect for 5th graders. 

 

We've had quite a bit of "girl drama" this year, and rumor spreading was at the center of it.  This poem fit in perfectly with that problem, and encouraged students to spread kind words instead of unkind words. 

My students are starting to get the hang of annotating text, and they're doing a pretty good job, if I do say so myself.  Like I've said before, close reading allows my struggling readers time to dig into the text and figure out what it is talking about, and it makes my advanced readers slow down and really think about what they read.  I've seen every student's written responses and comprehension improve in just the few weeks we've been doing close reading. 
 


"One thing the author compared dropping a pebble in the water to was unkind words.  The author ment that when you say unkind words you have made waves of tears.  Another thing was cheer and kindness.  The author ment their is sweet music going miles and miles over the water when you drop a kind word.  That is how he compared dropping pebble in the water to the poem." -Rachel
"First the author said was drop a pebble...But there's half a hundred ripples...you've disturbed a mighty river just by dropping a tiny stone.  The author restates this point using kindness and unkindness.  This means 1 rumor could keep spreading, there isn't a way to stop it.  1 word could make the best day, or the worst." -Kadin

This note made ME happy!

 I love reading poems with my students, and they typically enjoy the challenge of figuring out what they mean, but I have trouble finding poems that are age appropriate.  If you have a good resource for poems, please share! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment