Thursday, August 23, 2012

Save Fred!

The link to the Prezi SHOULD be working now! 

Save Fred! is one of my favorite beginning of the year activities.  I like to use it as our first "real" science activity.  We did this today after spending the beginning part of the week going over procedures and the importance of following directions (using the wonderfully hilarious "Follow the Directions Test," I'll make a blog post of this next!).

I found Save Fred somewhere a few years ago and used it as a lesson I had to teach in my college "Science for Elementary Teachers" class.  It's fun, builds community, gets kids to work together, and reviews the Scientific Method.

Basically, Fred is a gummy worm who was on his boat (a cup) when it started to sink.  Fortunately, Fred had a life preserver (gummy Lifesaver) in his boat!  Unfortunately, it was still in the boat (under the cup).  The goal is to get Fred into the Lifesaver without touching him, the boat, or the life preserver with your hands.  Each person in the group gets a paper clip, though.

I created a worksheet to guide my students through the Scientific Method.  This sheet will be on my TPT site.  I also made a Prezi that explains this in greater detail.  It's not fancy, but it works!

I introduce the worksheet after the Prezi.  We go through each number on the worksheet, talking about the Scientific Method and how it applies to this activity.  I then put students into random groups of 3 and pass out the papers.  I tell each group that they have to fill out #1-4 on the sheet before they can get their materials.  This requires them to plan what they will do before actually doing it.

Once groups get their materials, the classroom can get a little loud!  Each group is so excited to save Fred, and they have lots of great ideas.  There is also a lot of laughter and cheering!  Get your camera ready if you plan on doing this, because you get some great pictures!






Fred is SAVED!

After saving Fred...the groups got to eat him and his family members!  With this activity, you just HAVE to let them eat some gummy worms!

25 comments:

  1. I love, love, super love this! I was planning to do the Fred activity, but I like that you've turned it into science (double dip). Thanks for the Prezi and worksheet! :)

    ~Mimi
    5thGradeRocks5thGradeRules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy, and let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Love this! I have to go to the grocery store one more time now! How did they do on the diagrams?
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My classes are really into art this year, and their drawings were excellent!

    They enjoyed drawing the diagrams, even if they weren't completely accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time learning about Fred. I can't find the prezi though. Will you repost it? Or email it to kwade@w-usd.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link should be working now!

      http://prezi.com/-xnmfgjfrgk4/save-fred/

      Delete
  5. I also would love to access the prezi! My e-mail is m_e_rogers@hotmail.com
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link should be working now!

      http://prezi.com/-xnmfgjfrgk4/save-fred/

      Delete
  6. I did this last year and it was a success! I lost my power point :( can you repost the prezi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link should be working now!

      http://prezi.com/-xnmfgjfrgk4/save-fred/

      Delete
  7. Fabulous idea! Can you please email the information to me? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Yeah...summer brain...I forgot to add the email address... amhowie01@aol.com :)

      Delete
    2. The link should be working now!

      http://prezi.com/-xnmfgjfrgk4/save-fred/

      Delete
  8. I would really love to do this with my class this year. Could you send me the prezi? jweezie35@yahoo.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link should be working now!

      http://prezi.com/-xnmfgjfrgk4/save-fred/

      Delete
  9. could I please have the prezi also?

    Edonald304@aol.com

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link should be working now!

      http://prezi.com/-xnmfgjfrgk4/save-fred/

      Delete
  10. Also, could I get the prezi link as well? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link should be working now!

      http://prezi.com/-xnmfgjfrgk4/save-fred/

      Delete
  11. This is an awesome activity, and another request to post the link to the Prezi and work sheet. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link should be working now!

      http://prezi.com/-xnmfgjfrgk4/save-fred/

      The worksheet should be a freebie in my TeachersPayTeachers store!

      Delete
  12. This looks like a great activity, can you email the Prezi to me please?
    cjwilliams627@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link should be working now!

      http://prezi.com/-xnmfgjfrgk4/save-fred/

      Delete
  13. Hey! Just wanted you to know I referenced your prezi and tpt sheet on my blog- everyonedeservestolearn@blogspot.com. Thanks for the amazing activity!

    -Maria

    ReplyDelete