Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Wordle Goodbye

This was such a great activity for the end of the year!

I had each student pull up a blank Wordle.net page.  We don't have enough computers for everyone, so some students pulled up two separate webpages and then made them smaller so that both could be seen at the same time.  Then they typed their name ten times.  We numbered the computers and carouseled around the classroom.

The rules were simple:
  1. Only use positive words or comments
  2. YOU cannot say the same thing for each person
  3. You MAY repeat a word that SOMEBODY else has used (because this will make the word bigger on Wordle)
  4. Move when the teacher says switch, and do it quietly
My kids loved reading what everyone wrote about them.  Some people came up with some really thoughtful things!  I even had my computer set up, and the kids left me comments and I left them comments.

Then, everyone played around with the layout, font, and color scheme until they were happy with it, then they printed it.  Some of them wanted everyone to sign it, since most of my class didn't buy a yearbook.

We also completed a 5th grade Wordle.  Everyone wrote down at least 3 things the liked best about 5th grade.  Some of the things they wrote surprised me!  Some things were from the first of the year, and some things were quick activities we did as fillers.  The class Wordle is below, and I'll post some of the student Wordles soon!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea and am soooo stealing it! :o)

    Thanks for posting it!

    Josh
    Mr. B's Beach Brains

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steal away! Although, is it really stealing if you tell me first????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this for each of my 5ht graders for a nice reminder of their year with me. I think wordle.net is amazing!! So many ideas to use it with. Thanks for this idea! I'll have to try next year, maybe their thoughts or fears or excitement about their 5th grade year at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the name wordles every year. My kids love them. I super love the whole class idea. I think I'm going to to have to do that too!

    Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. On www.txt2pic.com you can make more images with your text.

    ReplyDelete