Monday, April 2, 2012

What's Your Classroom Management Plan?

We use a clip chart method in our class.  Everyone starts at 3 every day, and can move up or down based on their actions.  They can move up to 5 and down to 0.  There is a different consequence for each level below 3, such as walking at recess, writing procedures, visit to the buddy room.  There are also rewards for students who move up the chart.  It's worked well all year, until my class came back from spring break!  They've been noisy, disrespectful, whiny, and downright mean to each other.  I don't know if I should continue the next 33 school days with the clip chart or work on implementing something different.

What I really want to know about is other classroom management plans.  My co-teacher doesn't have a set system, and just doles out any punishment he thinks is acceptable.  I think this is where my discipline problems have really come from.  See, my class goes to the other classroom for math and while they're there, it's controlled, but it's also inconsistent.  Drives me crazy, but my co-teacher's the type of person who's only interested in their way of doing things.  


4 comments:

  1. Great Blog! I am your newest follower!

    Adrienne
    Unless Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been teaching fifth grade for several years. They do come back from Spring Break ready for summer. I find that changing my classroom management plan at this time of year helps. http://artistryofeducation.blogspot.com/2012/02/privileges-and-coupons-my-incentive.html This is a link to a February blogpost where I explain my system. I have related free printables in my TPT store. Please let me know if you have questions or need me to email you a copy of the printables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only one with squirrely 5th graders! I'll be checking out your blog and TPT store! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Great Blog. Here’s a link to a research study on classroom management that folks can participate in and earn money: http://eepurl.com/kz4s1

    ReplyDelete