Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dairy Cows at School

Woah...this new layout for Blogger is strange.......it's taken most of my plan time to just figure out how to post.  Blah....

Yesterday, we were visited by the Mobile Dairy from the Southwest Dairy Farmers organization.  It was a really good presentation, and even though my kids don't live in an urban environment (a small city of about 50,000 people), most of them had never seen a cow upclose.  They explained how dairy farms operate, differences in cows, and how to milk a cow by hand and by machine.  It was pretty interesting, as my farming family never had milk cows, only beef cows!


And of course, one of my LOVELY 5th graders asked the most asked question by little ones..."How do you get chocolate milk?"  And he asked it in all seriousness.  Honestly, I was surprised that 5th graders still think chocolate milk comes from a chocolate milk cow.  They never cease to amaze me...The presenter told him, jokingly, that he feeds the cows a Hershey bar and then, pop!  chocolate milk!  He then explained that you can only get white milk from cows, and you have to add flavoring later.


Our county's dairy association then handed out cheese samples to each kid, which was probably the highlight of the presentation!

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog today! I am your newest follower:) Stop by and visit me...

    learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen them in action before-they do a great presentation for the kids (and adults!). :)

    By the way, I love you countdown to summer thing!!! Can't wait!

    Shannon
    http://www.6thgradescottforesmanreadingstreetresources.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete