Monday, March 26, 2012

Welcome Back!

It was a pretty good day back at school...although I was surprised with not 1, but TWO new students!  This puts my total up to 17, so I'm almost caught up to the other 5th grade class.  I lucked out, too, as one of the girls is REALLY smart!  The other one came in late in the day, so I don't know much about her yet.  The math teacher was very impressed with the math skills of the first girl.  Our math program (enVision) is very fast-paced and does some things in weird ways, so it's good that she already has the knowledge.

This was the first time I've had new students.  Most of the area surrounding our school had to be rebuilt after the tornado, so now we are getting lots of new families moving into the newly rebuilt homes.  What do you do to welcome new students???  Do you have someone give them a tour of the school?  Do you have a packet of information to give them?  Do you take some time to do "get-to-know-you" games?  I gave them planners, notebooks, a reading workbook, and a DonorsChoose permission slip.  I need to find my Welcome letter from the beginning of the year to send home with them.  What else do you do when a new student walks through the door?

And, here are some pictures of my latest DonorsChoose supplies.  The picture of the boxes doesn't really do it justice... 



2 comments:

  1. I always find at least 2 students from my class that will be a friend and show them around the class and school. I always have a desk ready - books, notebooks, pencils, etc. It is also a great time to review with the class the most important rules of the school/class. As a class, the students will share what they think is most important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I freak out when I get a new student! No, not really, but our school is VERY small and family oriented so the new students just seem to mostly fit right in and feel at home!! Thank goodness!

    Shannon
    http://www.6thgradescottforesmanreadingstreetresources.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete