Sunday, March 4, 2012

Simple Machines Scavenger Hunt and iMovie

To wrap up our unit on Simple Machines, my classes divided into groups to go on a simple machines scavenger hunt.  To begin, they had to come up with a list of 3 examples of each type of simple machine (screw, wedge, wheel and axle, lever, pulley, inclined plane) and 3 examples of compound machines, all of which could be found at school.

Once they checked their list with me, they took a digital camera, a timer, and a hall pass, and headed out to take pictures of each type of simple machine/compound machine.  We had talked extensively about what their expectations were.  If they a teacher thought they were being too loud, they would be sent back to class and they would not get another chance to take pictures for their scavenger hunt.  I had each group check in with me every 10 minutes, and I only had two digital cameras, so two groups out at a time.

Once they got their pictures taken, they downloaded them to the computer and began making an iMovie presentation. Here's the criteria that I told them I was looking for...the rest was up to them:

  1. 3 pictures of each type of simple machine (18 pictures)
  2. 3 pictures of compound machines (total of 21 pictures)
  3. Introduction
  4. Organized by type of machine
  5. Closing statement
Most groups added transitions and songs, and some included voice overs or even video recordings of themselves.  

All of my students had a great time working on this project, and I was amazed at some of the simple machines they thought of!  

Shaylyn, Sean, and Katie's Simple Machines iMovie
video

1 comments: