Friday, March 9, 2012

Kicked to the Curb

 -------------Updated 3/13/12 with pictures!--------------
I started working on the Week 3 challenge from Clutter-Free Classroom.  Sadly, I forgot to take the pictures of my overflowing trashcans and my loaded up cart (which I also got rid of!).  If I went back tomorrow, our wonderful maintenance crew would have already disposed of the evidence.  But don't worry!  I'm sure there will be much, much more!

I cleaned out my desk and two cabinets today.  I still have the coat closet, my closet, 2 cabinets at the front of the room, the cabinet and cubby by my desk, bookshelves, and the shelves under the windows.  Whew...

Here's some of the junk I got rid of:


  • Broken, cheap brass curtain rods.
  • The curtains that went on the broken, cheap curtain rods.
  • 40+ protractors...and I still kept enough for my class to use.  Why would anyone need 60+ protractors?
  • A box of math manipulatives from the old series.
  • Stacking cups
  • Student grammar guides with a copyright date from 1992.
  • Student writing guides with a copyright date from 1992.
  • Reading workbooks that I remember using in 5th grade. Wow, at least 3 reading series have been used since then.
  • Puzzles (put them into my prize box, and had some picked already)
  • Random games that I have no idea how to play, so my kids probably wouldn't have any idea how to play.
  • Lots of random, really old books
  • A metal cart that was kind of leaning to one side



I also cleared out my desk drawers and found I was able to fully re-stock the supply center with glue sticks, scissors, pens, pencils, colored pencils, crayons, dry erase markers, markers, and rulers...yep...all of that was in the 5 desk drawers I have and they weren't even THAT messy.

I threw away so much trash and filled up the recycle bin.  It was a wonderfully productive day!  

Next, I'm going to tackle the cabinet of 100+ reading work books.  I tried to get rid of them earlier in the year, but they came back to me...along with a box of MORE.  We won't have to order workbooks for at least 5 years...I seriously have that many.

3 comments:

  1. I soooo need to do this! Cleaning out things is something I dread!

    I just joined your blog via Fabulous 4th Grade Froggie's Linky Party. Can't wait to read more.

    Happy Thursday!

    Summyr
    theteachaholic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to clean when I'm upset, and so my class kept asking me what was wrong! I was going through cabinets and drawers every chance I got and had a group of kids carry things down to the supply room almost every day.

      It was a great way to relieve some stress!

      Delete
  2. I can always clean in my classroom. I think things reproduce and multiply at night! =)

    I am your newest follower! I would love for you to visit me when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete